Hi everyone! I hope you had an amazing weekend!
This post is going to be short, but I made an amazing recipe over the weekend that I am just too excited to share with you all!
It’s BANANA BREAD!
Being one of my favorite snacks growing up with a grandma for a baker, I was seriously upset when I realized that my allergies wouldn’t allow me to indulge in its sweet goodness anymore. It had been quite awhile since I baked anything “real” in the kitchen, and I was prepared for an epic failure.
This was quite far from a failure though, just EPIC.
Gluten-free, vegan, oil-free, nut-free, sugar-free…. This has
it all none of the common allergens. Feel free to substitute anything where necessary, and let me know if you try it (and what changes you made)!
Gluten-free, vegan, nut-free, oil-free, sugar-free, high fiber
- 3 tbsp chia seeds, ground into powder (36 grams)
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 bananas, mashed (350 grams)
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup brown rice protein powder (30 grams)* or 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder (sodium free and corn-free)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 10 packets stevia (equal to 20 tsp of sugar… or around 1/2 cup sugar)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a loaf pan with wax paper (8×5).
2. Grind the 3 tbsp of chia seeds into a powder. In a small bowl mix the chia seed powder with the 3/4 cup of water. Let set for a few minutes to turn into a gel.
3. In a medium sized bowl mash the bananas until chunky, then add the chia seed gel and stevia.
4. Add the brown rice flour, protein powder, baking powder and baking soda to the banana-chia mixture. Stir just until combined.
5. Pour mixture into loaf pan and even out with a spoon.
6. Bake for 40-60 minutes until brown.
*Time depends on your oven and desired texture. I baked mine for 40 minutes. To test for done-ness, you can pierce it with a fork/toothpick. I also tap mine with a fork, and if it sounds solid then it is done.
7. Let cool for a few minutes, remove from wax paper and enjoy!
Also, be careful when removing the bread from the pan. It stays together pretty well for having no egg, but if you are easily side-tracked (like me) then your bread may decide to break on you when you are busy taking pictures…
Like I said. EPIC.
Are you ready for the start of a new week? What do you have planned?
Do you like banana bread? What additions would you make? Chocolate chips? Nuts?
What desserts/snacks doing you miss being allergy-free?