It seems that there are two main buzzwords in the food world right now: Gluten-free and Vegan. Label any recipe with one of those and you are guaranteed to have a success on your hands.
So does that mean if something is both you have a mega success?
Well, I should certainly hope so, because I have a super fantastic and easy recipe to share today that is gluten (and grain) free as well as free of eggs, dairy, peanuts… and calories!
Ha. Okay, so that last part is a 100% lie, but whoever invents a recipe that is calorie-free (and doesn’t taste like rubber and/or contain ingredients that would make a lab rat run in fear) then they will be rich.
I guess for now I’ll just have to settle for “mega success” without the money 😉
Vegan Grain-Free Pancakes
Grain/Gluten/Wheat-Free, Vegan, Nut-Free Option, Paleo/GAPS-Friendly
Makes approximately 6 pancakes (4 inch each)
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed + 1/2 cup water
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup yogurt (coconut to make vegan)
- 2 tbsp honey (or maple syrup) – optional
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup almond flour (or seed flour to make nut-free)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- dash of sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- approximately 1/2 cup water or milk (I used light coconut milk)
- berries if desired
- Preheat your pancake griddle to 350 degrees or a skillet to medium heat.
- Combine the flaxseed and water. Let sit for a few minutes to thicken (or microwave to speed up the process).
- Add the mashed bananas, yogurt, honey and vinegar and mix until well combined.
- Then add the almond flour, coconut flour, sea salt and baking soda. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Add the water or milk in increments until the batter is thin enough to pour, but still very thick (it should be thick enough that you have to spread out the batter when in the skillet).
- Spray/grease/coat your griddle to prevent sticking. Using a heaping 1/3 cup, measure out the batter onto your griddle. Like I stated above, you will need to spread out the batter with the back of the measuring cup or a spoon (or else you will have super thick, and probably uncooked, pancakes).
- Cook for about three minutes and add berries if desired. Cook for about three minutes more or until the tops are bubbly and set. Flip and cook for an additional five minutes. Plate and serve.
And because “buzzwords” remind me of one of my favorite websites “Buzzfeed”…
Here are my favorite buzzfeed article finds for you enjoyment:
The 43 Worst Things About Wearing Glasses (Every single one)
39 Ridiculously Expensive Weird Items on Etsy (Stop before 36 unless you want to be scarred for life)
19 Food Hacks for College Cafeterias (Whoever created these are seriously genius)
28 Music Facts that Will Make You Feel Old (Rocking the jean outfit…)
Questions for you:
What are your buzzwords for a fantastic recipe? Chocolate? Peanut butter? Cake?
Have you seen any good Buzzfeed articles recently?