I feel like every week we all say “surprise!” It’s Wednesday again. But 1 out of 7 days start with a W. That’s about 52 times a year. Wednesdays are pretty common, and with them, WIAW blog parties are pretty common too. That’s not to say that they aren’t still exciting though. Heck, if I could celebrate a holiday (especially Christmas or Thanksgiving) every week I sure would.
Actually that’s probably possible seeing as how there are so many National Days/Weeks/Months featuring everything under the sun. There’s a national doughnut week, a national banana lover’s day… And today (August 7) is national Lighthouse Day. Seriously. In this country we find a way to celebrate EVERYTHING.
Despite our tendency to over-celebrate though, I never get tired of parties.
Just like I never get tired of WIAW. Thanks Jenn 😉
As I mentioned on Monday, I have a new recipe to share today. It’s made with grain-free flours and is also easily able to be converted into a vegan/nut-free recipe. This was inspired by my desire to make cinnamon french toast for my parents when they came up to visit this past weekend. After a disastarous attempt to make pancakes that almost set off the smoke alarm on Saturday though, I decided to just stick to using the oven. Gas stoves can be so touchy- I didn’t want to press my luck.
You may realize upon close inspection that this bread recipe is much like my Carob Chunk Cookie Bars that I posted a few Fridays back. And you would be correct. I changed around the ingredients a little bit, this time using eggs in place of the flax (however flax will still work great for an egg-free version), increased the sweetener a little bit, added some cinnamon, and topped it all with a super easy and delicious topping.
Ready to dig in?
Grain-Free Cinnamon Roll Bread
Wheat/Gluten/Wheat-Free, Dairy/Egg-Free, Nut-Free Option, Peanut-Free, Refined Sugar-Free, Paleo
- 2 eggs (or 1/4 cup ground flaxseed + 1/4 cup water)
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 4 tbsp honey (replace with maple syrup to make vegan)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour (any other nut flour or seed flour will work)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (optional-because I forgot!)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If making without eggs- combine ground flaxseed and water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Heat the flaxseed mixture in the microwave for approximately 2 minutes or until the water is all absorbed. Otherwise skip to step 3.
- Add the mashed banana, honey, coconut oil and vanilla extract to the flaxseed mixture (or two eggs). Stir until smooth.
- In a separate bowl mix all of the dry ingredients together. Then mix in the wet ingredients. Combine well.
- Grease an 8×8, 9×9, small cast iron skillet, or small baking pans with coconut oil (all will work).
- Distribute the dough evenly and spread out with a spoon/spatula.
- Combine the topping ingredients and drizzle over the dough.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the topping looks crispy and the bread springs back to the touch.
Shared at Food Forager.
From my pictures you can see that I made the bread both in a small cast iron skillet which I sliced to serve, as well as a single-serving round pan. The “pan” was actually a washed out large tomato sauce can. Aluminum cans work extremely well for baking if you just remember to grease them thoroughly.
In one bite my mom declared that this tasted just like a pastry that you would buy from a bakery.
I’ll ask you again- Are you ready to dig in NOW?
Questions for you:
What is your favorite offbeat national holiday? I think tomorrow is pretty unique being “Sneak some zucchini onto your neighbor’s front porch day.” I swear I’m telling the truth!
What is your favorite kind of pastry? I would have to say that a fresh glazed doughnut just can’t be beat.
Gas or electric stoves- which do you prefer? Electric for me!