Marvelous is… the fact that I found an old bag of black licorice cough drops in our medicine cabinet.
Not so marvelous is… the fact that I even NEED cough drops due to “the plague.” 😉
Marvelous is… watching the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with my mom.
Not so marvelous is… now I’m craving pizza.
Marvelous is… celebrating one of my friend’s birthdays tomorrow.
Not so marvelous is… if I don’t get over this cold/virus/whatever-it-is I won’t be able to go.
Marvelous is… making breakfast on an actual stove every morning for my parents.
Not so marvelous is… Okay, I can’t really find anything wrong with this oatmeal. Ha.
Banana and Maple Pecan Oatmeal
Gluten/Wheat-Free, Vegan, Nut-Free Option (in Notes below)
Makes 1 serving
- 1 cup liquid (1/2 cup water + 1/2 cup milk)
- 1/2 cup quick oatmeal
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed (ground chia would work too)
- 1 tbsp sweetener
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- dash of salt
- “Maple pecans”: 3 tbsp pecans, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1/8 tsp cinnamon, dash of salt
- optional toppings (I used melted almond butter)
- Heat liquid on high until boiling. Add oatmeal and flaxseed. Reduce heat to medium and stir occasionally for about 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Slice the 1/2 banana on top of the oatmeal. Stir and let sit for a minute until the banana gets soft. Using a fork whip the oatmeal incorporating the banana until smooth. Mix in the cinnamon and salt then pour into a bowl.
- In the now empty pan put the pecans, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt. Heat on medium until the syrup begins to boil and thicken. Pour onto the oatmeal and top with optional toppings.
Notes: To make this vegan/dairy-free use a dairy-free milk like almond milk or coconut milk. You could also just use all water for the liquid to make it nut-free but it won’t be as creamy. For the nuts, feel free to omit or replace with a nut-free version like sunflower seeds, pepitas, a diced banana or apple.
Marvelous is… doubling the recipe to make it for two.
Not so marvelous is… not having the right-sized pan and the liquid spilling over causing your stove to smoke. My bad.
Marvelous is… the truckload of Christmas pictures that I have to share with you.
Not so marvelous is… having to upload and edit them all.
So while I get on that, make this oatmeal, pop in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and get to reading some of the other posts that are linking up to Katie’s Marvelous in my Monday.
Hopefully I will be feeling better and able to comment on some of your posts that I’ve missed in the past week or so. Time to return to the land of the living! 😉
Questions for you:
Which Ninja Turtle is your favorite? I’m partial to the one in red, Raphael.
According to Nickelodeon’s survey though, I’m DONATELLO!
Like Donatello, you are a brilliant inventor. You may not make all of the Turtles’ gadgets, weapons, and vehicles, like he does, but you’ve got the brains for it! But sometimes you and Donnie are too smart for your own good, like when you’re too busy admiring an enemy’s futuristic laser cannon to run for your lives. But when it comes down to it, it’s other people’s lives that really keep your head in a mission. You fight with your heart, and that makes you a very powerful warrior.
What’s your favorite cough drop flavor? Black licorice obviously.
Have you gotten all of your Christmas photos/recaps up yet? I’m pretty sure I’m the last one…